14 December 2020
Local communities worldwide play a vital role in the promotion of authentic culture and in the strengthening of the sustainability of civilizations in all their forms. UNESCO Sustainable Tourism suggests 10 ways to support local communities and cultures, from single acts to grand gestures!
- Integrate local cultural elements into the hotel environment
- Avoid over-commercialization of local cultural products
- Provide guests with simple phrasebooks and cultural advice
- Create an exhibition or display corner on local culture in the hotel
- Encourage hiring local staff and tour operators
- Offer tours into local communities to your guests
- Host awareness raising activities for local communities
- Collect litter in your immediate surroundings
- Sponsor and support local community events
- Donate a share of your profits to a local charity
Read the full article and adopt one or more within YOUR local community!