Place branding can be considered a strategic approach to cultural heritage management. Created by Robert Govers, the 5-step approach to place branding are:
- Formulate project goals (vision, mission, objectives).
- Analyse current place brand (perceived identity and image, and projected image).
- Design place brand essence (brand identity, value match, experience concept).
- Implement a new place brand (construction, cooperation, communication).
- Monitor the place brand (awareness, perceived image/loyalty, projected image).